Space Programme 2011

February 3d 2011. It was the middle of the night when I received the message. I was invited onto the SPACE Programme 2011. While jumping a hole in the air I wondered where I'd left my space suit.

The Space Programme offers artists of all disciplines an opportunity to collaborate, experiment and innovate in an inspiring environment. The project takes place over a two-week period at Castletown House Co. Kildare, it is an open ended process hosted by The Performance Corporation. The programme facilitates artists from diverse backgrounds to collaborate and explore their artistic process while removing the pressure to come up with an end product.

This weblog gives an insight in my thoughts and working process during the Space Programme and tells about some projects that came out of this wonderful opportunity.

dinsdag 22 maart 2011

from one end to the other ...




The Giant and I went to the other end of the island today. Keem beach, where they used to catch basking sharks by trapping them in nets which were attached to the cliffs, killing them by harpoon from currachs (traditional boats). It was a tough journey but we made it. On the road I thought of many things I wanted to write about but they all disappeared in the seawind. I’m left with an empty head. For now at least. Overnight it will probably fill up again.

Some old thoughts instead. For example: the marathon I (did not) ran on my final day in Castletown House. Friday March 18th I was exactly 14.058 days old. I decided to walk/run this exact amount of steps on the stairs connecting all the floors of Castletown House, starting from the first step on the ground floor and walking up and down until I would make my 14.058th step. I asked everybody to walk in and out, use the stairs like on any other day, do some cheering from time to time, hand me some water or a sandwich or a towel or anything else I might need. By walking those 14.058 steps on those stairs, surrounded by or passing the people I worked with so intensely, my whole life and those two weeks, possibly even those two hours in which I walked and ran, became one and the same thing.